Sunday, July 05, 2009

Getting ready to stretch a large canvas

Frame for Rhododendron Explosion - 48" x 96"
I'm preparing the frame for the largest painting I've ever done. At 4 ' tall by 9' long, it probably won't ever leave my house. The plan is to hang it in my livingroom.

Allan got stretcher frames at Utrecht on sale; a set of 48" and a set of 96". I wanted several cross braces, but they only had the one 48" center brace, and Allan said that would be strong enough. Since he's the one who has to hang it, I'll go with his recommendation. Plus, he assembled it for me because when it comes to anything carpenterish, I'm basically useless.

Then I cut my piece of cotton duck, 57" x 105", which will give me 4.5 inches to wrap around. I laid everything out on the floor, because I don't have a table large enough, and proceeded to stretch and staple.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why staples kept shooting across the room, instead of going where I pointed them. Allan came to the rescue and pointed out that I was holding the gun backwards. Doh! He called me a retard. "Why don't you put that on your blog," he said. So I am!

Like I said, when I comes to assembling stuff, I'm challenged. I hope I don't shoot my eye out with the staple gun. But by gosh, I know how to hold a paintbrush!

~I will keep the brush happy in my hand ~
But staple guns, that's another story...

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

haha Marie...you tell a good story "on yourself". This does sound like something I might do. I am looking forward to seeing this big painting (completed) on your blog!

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.